Being gluten free is easier than you think...

Being gluten free seems difficult, if not impossible, at first but it's easier than you think. I'll explain how.
Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

This weekend was another wonderful weekend. DH, Kiddo, and I hung out, watched movies, and visited with family. Saturday afternoon I decided that while DH was working on his car I would try to make a strawberry rhubarb pie. Up until Saturday I had never tried to make a pie crust from scratch. I also had never even touched rhubarb. I've eaten it but never worked with it myself. It's surprisingly simple and just as delicious as I remember it being.

I should tell you that the reason I never thought about making a pie crust from scratch is because thought of making one myself terrified me. I had always heard how hard they are to make and that the crusts always shrink or crack. So, I took a deep breath and jumped right in. I thought that if the crust turned out terrible that the filling would probably still be edible. I can honestly say now that I am glad that I faced my fears. Not only did the crust not crack but it also didn't taste gluten free. Win!! If you've had the experiences that DH and I have had you've probably eaten a lot of dry, cardboard-y tasting pie and pizza crusts and breads. I give you my word that if you follow the pie crust recipe below you will have a wonderful pie crust that you can use for any pie.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Pie Crust (adapted from Bob's Red Mill): 
  • 1-1/2 cups GF All Purpose Baking Flour 
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum + a little extra
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 cup Margarine (one stick)
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla (if you can, use the real stuff not the imitation)
  • 4 Tbsp Cold Milk 
Instructions:
  • Combine flour and salt, then cut in margarine using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. 
  • Sprinkle milk, one tablespoon at a time, while blending, until all ingredients are moist. Use only as much milk as you need to combine the ingredients.
  • Using wax paper, place dough onto one sheet, flatten with palm, place another sheet on top and roll out to desired size. Be careful not to roll the dough too thin or the next step will be tricky.
  • Remove the top sheet and invert into pie pan.

Filling (adapted from Eat Better America):
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4cup granulated sugar
  • 3tablespoons Gluten Free AP Flour. I used Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend
  • 1/4teaspoon almond extract
  • 3cups coarsely diced fresh rhubarb
  • 2cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1/2cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4cup Gluten Free AP Flour. I used Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend
  • 2tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg 
  • 3tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Instructions: 
It tastes better than it looks. I promise!
  • Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until light. Beat in granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and the almond extract until well blended. Place the 3 tablespoons of butter on the pie crust. Then, mix together the cut up strawberries and rhubarb then pour into crust-lined pan. Pour egg mixture over fruit.
  • In small bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and the nutmeg. With pastry blender or fork (I do this part with my hands), cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
  • Bake for 25 minutes then cover pie crust edges with a pie shield or tin foil. Bake for an additional 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is set in center. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into wedges. Store in refrigerator.  
Notes:
There is no need to blind (pre) bake the crust. Especially if you bake it in a stone or ceramic pie pan. The bottom crust will turn out nice and golden along with the rest of it. 

Keep an eye on your crust as the pie bakes. You don't want it over bake it as it will crumble as most GF items are wont to do. The edges of this pie did crumble a little bit.

I hope you enjoy this pie as much as me and my family did. They liked it so much there was only one small piece left at the end of the day. If you have any questions please let me know. 

Since I found this pie crust recipe so easy to make I just might make DH a French Silk Pie...his favorite.

Until next time...

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment